Wednesday, October 12, 2005

wet dog damn day

It hasn't stopped raining since I got my car washed. This morning, driving to Westchester, my windshield wipers were flipping on high speed and I still couldn't see anything because it was pouring so hard and it was foggy and half the cars on the road didn't have their headlights on. There were several looong bottlenecks in which cars had to go single-file through water that was three feet deep. Which meant that lots of cars couldn't even move because they would have been sunk, so they pulled off to the nonexistent side of the BQE. When it should have been my turn to drive through, this huge NY State CORRECTIONAL FACILITY bus came up behind me and pushed me into the deepest part of the water and my heart started pounding. The radio was still on, Z100 and the early morning deejays were talking about whether or not redheads are smarter or stupider than blondes, and I wanted to call someone to talk me through this.
I thought, "I cannot call my parents because I don't want them to worry. I cannot call Suzie because she's in an interview; Phoebe might still be sleeping; my sister is already at work. I cannot call Robert because I don't want to hear him tell me that it's a bad time for him."
And then I thought, "I cannot call anyone because I cannot look away from the road."
And then the car in front of me hydro-planed and spun around and hit the truck in front of it.

An hour and a half later, my coffee tasted like a miracle in a paper cup.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Slow and steady wins the race.

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home